The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
- NY Fugitive ‘Sightings’ Highlight Eyewitness ErrorsBut it's a double-edged sword: while the public can indeed be helpful in finding people (Elizabeth Smart, the girl abducted from her Salt Lake City ... ... read more
- Texas Inmate Claims Josh Duggar Framed Him, Molested His Victims By Order Of Warren JeffsA Texas inmate claims he was setup by Josh Duggar in a child molestation case. The inmate alleges that he has DNA proof that Josh Duggar ... read more
- ’19 Kids And Counting’ SCANDAL: New Allegations Emerge Against Josh Duggar Claiming Ther...He also insisted that Josh Duggar threw Baby Jessica down his well. He claimed that Duggar kept up a correspondence with Elizabeth Smart, and that ... ... read more
- Convicted Pedophile Makes Some Seriously Shady Claims About Josh DuggarJosh Duggar was pen pals with Elizabeth Smart ... Josh Duggar knows what happened to Jon Benet Ramsey." Holy crappus, did he kill JFK too? ... read more
- Josh Duggar scandal: Man claims he is in jail for something Josh Duggar didJosh Duggar was pen pals with Elizabeth Smart. … Josh Duggar knows what happened to Jon Benet Ramsey." These accusations are a bit much and ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart appears on HLN to talk about the Hero™ appHERO™ Mobile App for iOS and Android Leverages Social Media, Crowd Sourcing and Geo-Location to Provide Important Tool in Times of Need SALT LAKE CITY — June 26, 2012 — Apptooth (www.apptooth.com), a leading mobile app development studio today launched a new patent-pending mobile application called Hero™ available in the Apple App Store for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Google Play for Android. Hero™ Features Summary: • Users can invite friends and family to be their “Heroes” from numerous social… ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart Appears on “Anderson” via Satellite to Discuss Child Safety
- Elizabeth Smart Foundation and Keep Georgia Safe Team Up to Talk About radKIDS... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.