The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
OUT MARCH 26th 2018 – New York Times bestselling author and activist Elizabeth Smart empowers those who have experienced trauma to reclaim their lives and more forward with hope.
Available at the below retailers!
- Elizabeth Smart joins The 5 Browns’ Deondra Brown to ‘make noise’ about sex...Elizabeth Smart, right, hugs moderator Kim Johnson at the end of a panel discussion titled "Smart Talks: I've Never Told Anyone" at Brigham Young ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart speaks at BYUPROVO, Utah (ABC 4 News) - She was kidnapped at age 14 and held in captivity -- raped repeatedly for 9 months. On Friday night, Elizabeth Smart ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart speaks at BYU after ‘Me Too’ movement spreads on social mediaElizabeth Smart speaks during a panel discussion titled "Smart Talks: I've Never Told Anyone" on Friday, Oct. 20, 2017 on the campus of Brigham ... ... read more
- WATCH: Lifetime’s ‘I Am Elizabeth Smart‘ Releases First TrailerThe first trailer for the upcoming Lifetime movie, I Am Elizabeth Smart, was released and depicts the harrowing, true events of Elizabeth Smart's ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart Calls Lifetime’s I Am Elizabeth Smart ‘The Best Worst Movi...In the time since Elizabeth Smart, then 14, was abducted from her Salt Lake City bedroom in 2002, her story has remained largely unfathomable ... ... read more
- It’s time we addressed our society’s toxic ‘purity culture’Elizabeth Smart was just 14 years old when she was kidnapped straight from her bedroom, stolen from the bed in her childhood home located in an ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart shares the value of lifeSmart founded The Elizabeth Smart Foundation to “to empower and protect children, promote educational resources and trauma support for victims ... ... read more
- Where Is Elizabeth Smart Now? Kidnapped Teen Details Abduction In New MovieFourteen years after her harrowing ordeal in captivity came to an end, kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart is telling the story of her abduction in a new ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.