The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
- Elizabeth Smart brings message of hope, survival to MilwaukeeThe story of Elizabeth Smart's kidnapping and then safe return nine months later captured the attention of the nation. Now, she is bringing her story to ... ... read more
- Abductee survivor Elizabeth Smart to speak at The Women’s Center luncheonElizabeth Smart plans to talk about her abduction at a sold-out luncheon fundraiser event for The Women's Center Wednesday to show how resilient ... ... read more
- Elizabeth SmartThe story of Elizabeth smart. $10 Brand new book. Just getting back what I paid. ... read more
- Elizabeth SmartShowing 1-1 of 1 results for “Elizabeth Smart”. Sorted by date added, Popularity ... Success! ×. Available · Title details for My Story by Elizabeth Smart. ... read more
- Alleged bank robber was previously wanted for questioning in Elizabeth Smart kidnappingSALT LAKE CITY — A man who was once wanted for questioning in connection with the kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart has been arrested for a series ... ... read more
- Missing DC girls are more than a hashtagNatalee Holloway and Elizabeth Smart were household names growing up. I was young, but I vividly remember my parents pointing to these girls as ... ... read more
- Just 14 Years After Being Rescued, Elizabeth Smart Shares Photo of Her New Baby BoyElizabeth Smart captured the hearts of the country when she was kidnapped in 2002 from her Salt Lake City home, and Americans rejoiced when she ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart Announces Birth of Son with Adorable PictureElizabeth Smart announced the birth of her second child with an adorable Easter picture showing her 2-year-old Chloe holding her new baby brother. ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.