The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
- completely yours elizabeth a. smartSearch results for "completely yours elizabeth a. smart" at Kobo. Read free previews and reviews from booklovers. ... read more
- Elizabeth SmartShowing 1-2 of 2 results for “Elizabeth Smart”. Sorted by date added, Popularity, Relevance, Release date, Title, Author. Filters. Filter search results. ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart to speak at United Way eventElizabeth Smart, who was abducted at age 14 from her Utah home in a case that attracted nationwide attention, will be the keynote speaker at the ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart to share story of hope at ISU Jan. 30Once a victim in perhaps the country's most-followed child abduction case, Elizabeth Smart has turned her nine-month long nightmare into a reason ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart BookHave 2 copies. Selling hardcover. GUC. Join to buy. Available in the following communities. Clarington, ON Buy & Sell. seller info. Profile smile ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart to share story of hope at Indiana State on Jan. 30Once a victim of one of the most followed child abduction cases, Elizabeth Smart has turned her nine-month long nightmare into a reason for living that ... ... read more
- Exclusive: ‘Crime Watch Daily’ Renewed for Season 3Executive Producer Scott Eldridge says the addition of Elizabeth Smart — who was abducted, held and sexually assaulted as a teenager —also has ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart: Pornography made my living hell worseElizabeth Smart: Pornography made my living hell worse. CNN. Elizabeth Smart speaks out about the role pornography played in her kidnapping in ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.