The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
OUT MARCH 26th 2018 – New York Times bestselling author and activist Elizabeth Smart empowers those who have experienced trauma to reclaim their lives and more forward with hope.
Available at the below retailers!
- Cocaine Godmother Leads A+E Networks’ MIPCOM Slate... with Idina Menzel and Nia Long leading the cast of the classic movie's remake; and I Am Elizabeth Smart, focused on the infamous abduction case. ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart talks past experiences, present hope for families15 years ago, Elizabeth Smart's abduction gripped the nation. A moment, a then teenaged Smart, never thought she would experience. “I knew don't ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart says she considered suicide during her nine month captivitySALT LAKE CITY - For the first time, Elizabeth Smart is speaking out about thoughts of suicide while she was held captive. From June, 2002 to March, ... ... read more
- Johnston recognized as sole Iowa city with sex trafficking ordinance“Some victims, like Elizabeth Smart, are kidnapped and trafficked,” Lt. Governor Adam Gregg said. “Others are lured in through the internet without ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart reveals she had suicidal thoughts after kidnapping, assaultElizabeth Smart attends a November 2015 press conference drawing attention to the search for missing Utahns, Macin Smith, Elizabeth Salgado and ... ... read more
- ‘I felt like it would be better to be dead,’ Elizabeth Smart says in new intervie...Utah abduction survivor Elizabeth Smart said in a recent interview with fellow survivor Daisy Coleman that she once "felt like it would be better to be ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart reveals she considered suicide during her kidnappingElizabeth Smart reveals her own personal struggles during her time in captivity in an emotional and intimate interview with sexual-assault survivor and ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart gets brutally honest about some of her darkest moments in captivityElizabeth Smart says she contemplated suicide after she was raped while being held captive. Smart made the revelation in a sit-down interview for ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.