The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
- Lifetime sets Oscar-winner Anjelica Huston movie“I Am Elizabeth Smart” is the definitive, authorized movie about the harrowing kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart, told from her perspective and with her full ... ... read more
- Bella Thorne joins Buxom in a new campaignNow, in I Am Elizabeth Smart, Elizabeth herself, as an executive producer and on-screen narrator, explores how she survived, and confronts the truths ... ... read more
- Cher, Elizabeth Smart and Angelica Huston head to Lifetime in new projectsI Am Elizabeth Smart is the definitive, authorized movie about the harrowing kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart, told from her perspective and with her full ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart Story Headed To LifetimeHuston will star in a re-imagining of the '80s film Watcher in the Woods. The movie centers on Mrs. Alywood (Huston), a distraught mother whose ... read more
- Cher, Elizabeth Smart and Anjelica Huston Projects Set at LifetimeI Am Elizabeth Smart, the officially authorized flick about the real-life Elizabeth Smart, will feature Smart narrating the story of how she was snatched at ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart comes to Grand Rapids to advocate for changeGRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV)-On June 5, 2002 a families nightmare became a reality-and a story that shook the nation. Elizabeth Smart, a 14 year ... ... read more
- Lifetime Sets New Movies Starring Anjelica Huston, Elizabeth Smart; Cat Deeley & Yolanda ...I Am Elizabeth Smart is the definitive, authorized movie about the harrowing kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart, told from Smart's perspective and with her ... ... read more
- Anjelica Huston, Elizabeth Smart Set for Lifetime MoviesThe network, which is also exec producing a movie about the Flint water crisis starring Cher, has ordered two new movies with Elizabeth Smart and ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.