The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003 after being held prisoner for 9 grueling months.
Through this traumatic experience Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. Elizabeth triumphantly testified before her captor and the world about the very private nightmare she suffered during her abduction, which lead to conviction.
The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation”, Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, “My Story.” In addition, she and other abduction survivors worked with the Department of Justice to create a survivors guide, entitled, “You’re Not Alone: The Journey From Abduction to Empowerment.” This guide is meant to encourage children who have gone through similar experiences not to give up but to know that there is hope for a rewarding life.
Elizabeth’s abduction and recovery continues to motivate parents, law enforcement and leaders worldwide to focus on children’s safety. She emphasizes vigilance by “every day” people and the belief that hope always exist to find every missing child.
Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after a tragic event. Smart attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. She married her husband Matthew in 2012.
- President signs Hatch’s rapid DNA billOrrin Hatch, R-Utah, second from left, Elizabeth Smart and her father, Ed Smart on Thursday, July 6, 2017. Police might soon use new technology to ... ... read more
- Kylie Ladd on the aftermath of abductionFor Ladd, Eloise's abduction has always been in her memories, but more recently she's been fascinated by the stories of girls such as Elizabeth Smart, ... ... read more
- Ad of the Day: brave storytellers highlight new campaign from A&E... and the Aftermath; Donnie Wahlberg of Wahlburgers; Kevin Lawrence of Live PD; and Elizabeth Smart of Elizabeth Smart: Autobiography. ... read more
- Kristin Smart Vanished After A Party Decades Ago, And Police Are Still Searching For RemainsKristin also has no relation to Elizabeth Smart. For years, searches were conducted on several properties owned by Paul Flores' family, but no ... ... read more
- A+E Networks Unveils New Branding Campaign... and artist Amanda Demme and featuring A+E stars like Leah Remini, Donnie Wahlberg, Steven Clark, Kevin Lawrence and Elizabeth Smart. ... read more
- A&E kicks off ‘Brave Storytellers’ campaign to appeal to millennial audiences... and artist Amanda Demme and featuring A&E stars including Leah Remini, Donnie Wahlberg, Steven Clark, Kevin Lawrence and Elizabeth Smart. ... read more
- A&E Distances Itself From ‘Duck Dynasty’ Days With New Ad Campaign... its stable of unscripted programming — including Live PD, Born This Way, Elizabeth Smart: Autobiography and Wahlburgers — in what the company ... ... read more
- Summer reading program inspires Reading kids... including bestselling author Jennifer Weiner and abduction survivor Elizabeth Smart, but it was mathematician Katherine Johnson who provided an ... ... read more
- Elizabeth Smart tells her story to News 3 Investigation Tom Smart, Lee Benson
Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted from her Salt Lake City home 12 years ago. During the nine months she was held prisoner … read more
Elizabeth is available for speaking engagements to tell her incredible and inspiring story of overcoming adversity.
For information on contracting Elizabeth to speak at your event, please fill in the form on the contact page or call (801)410-0871.